If there are two things I love in this world it would be road trips and snacking. When it’s time for us to head on a road trip I have to pack my favorite snacks. Of course, I can’t forget the kiddos favorite snacks either. Speaking of road trips, my family just got back from a big road trip last weekend (an 8 hour drive each way to and from Washington DC), so I spent a few days rounding up everything that we like to munch on before we left for our trip. I have found that the following ten foods (and beverages) are perfect for snacking on road trips. Your vehicle may not like you, but your family will love you.
1. Nuts – if you do not have any allergies in your family, then nuts make the perfect snack food for traveling. I like to make a variety trail mix for our road trips that often includes nuts.
2. Berries – I love junk food no doubt, but I’ve also found that berries tend to be a great snack for road trips. The more added sugar I eat while traveling, the worse I feel, which is why I choose to eat something healthy like berries.
3. Cereal – if you want something quick and easy for a road trip, then consider cereal. Cheerios, Trix, Berry Crunch, and all of those yummy cereals make a perfect crunchy snack for the road.
4. Veggies – I love taking veggies with us when we travel. I’ll buy a huge bag of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower and make pre packaged veggie bags. We love ranch so I also buy those little ranch packs to bring with us to help make the veggies a little more flavorful.
5. Chex Mix – my family loves anything and everything crunchy. We take a couple of bags of chex mix with us when we travel. I actually prefer the cheddar kind, but there are a multitude of flavors to choose from.
6. Cheese – Isn’t this a brilliant snack to pack with you? I bring cut up pieces of chunk cheese with us plus string cheese. The kids and hubby like the variety in snacks and so does the woman of the house.
7. Dark chocolate – I know I told everyone to stay away from sugar while traveling, however, you have to treat yourself with some dark chocolate. I only allow myself one small serving per hour or else I would eat the whole bag.
8. Water – Some don’t consider water a road trip snack, but without it I couldn’t wash down all of the yummy snacks I’m eating on the road trip.
9. Dunkin Donuts Coffee – it never fails that every time I leave for a road trip (or just leave my house in general), I have to stop for my coffee from Dunkin Donuts. It totally makes any trip in the car worth it.
10. Crackers – One of the best snacky foods that are crunchy and perfect for any road trip is crackers! We always have crackers in our cabinet and it’s a great go to snack.
It’s important to snack while you’re on a road trip to help keep your stomach and the family happy. Packing a variety of snacks will help keep your mind off the long drive ahead.
What are some of your favorite road trip snacks?