We do a lot of family movie nights in our house. Since the kids are out on summer vacation, we tend to do a couple of movie nights per week as opposed to our traditional Friday night movie nights during the school year. We love snuggling up on the sofa with a yummy treat and spending time together watching movies & eating. I recently made these Orange Crush cupcakes and knew they were perfect for the family movie night we had planned later that evening.
Here’s What you Need:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 C all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t fine salt
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 C whole milk
1/2 Cup Crush Soda
Directions for cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cupcake pan with cupcake tins that you desire. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, set aside. Beat together butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined. Add eggs and beat well, scrap the bowl when necessary. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, beat until combined. Add milk and the Crush soda and beat blended.
3. Use a ice cream scooper or a big spoon and portion batter evenly into the cupcake tins.
4. Bake in the oven for 18 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
5. When baked, set aside and let them cool while you prepare the icing.
Orange Crush butter cream frosting:
3 C confectioners’ sugar
1 C butter
1 T of Crush soda
1 T whipping cream
Orange food coloring
Directions for Icing:
1. In a mixer, using the whisk attachment, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until blended and then increase speed to medium beat for 3 more minutes.
2, Add the Crush Soda and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for a few more minutes. Add in more powder sugar if necessary. Split icing in two. Add a few drops of orange to one bowl of the icing.
3. Take a piping bag and a star tip. Fill one side of the piping bag with the orange colored icing and the white and pipe onto the cupcakes.
These are a perfect sweet treat for family movie night and we’re looking forward to devouring them while we check out the new Netflix original series, Beat Bugs. Beat Bugs was inspired by the music of the Beatles, your next family sing-along can be “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.” Thanks to five charming and energetic bug-like creatures (Jay, Kumi, Crick, Buzz and Walter), families have the opportunity to come together over kid-friendly storylines and the best damn music ever made — recorded by today’s top artists, including Jennifer Hudson, P!nk, Sia and Eddie Vedder.
The Beatles are my all time favorite band, so I just know the Beat Bugs is going to be awesome!
So tell me, what are you and your family planning on watching?
**Note: I am a member of the Netflix Stream Team. As a member of the Stream Team I received product & complimentary service, but all opinions expressed here are strictly my own and were not influenced in any way.