I pack both of my boys a healthy lunch, but they are growing boys. Growing tween boys to be exact. In addition to eating me out of house and home, they both come off the bus hungry every single day. Actually, scratch that. They come off the bus hangry every single day – especially my youngest! When he’s hangry, he gives Oscar the Grouch a good run for his money. Seriously.
Since they come running (literally) off the bus looking for food, I always have a snack ready for them. Since peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are one of their favorites, they love it when they come home and I have peanut butter and jelly bars ready for them as a snack. They are easy to make and they are perfect for anyone who loves PB&J!
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 Cup softened butter
- 1 Cup peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup softened cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Grape jelly (or flavor of choice)
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350? and grease a 9×9? baking pan with butter.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat your butter, peanut butter, and sugars together.
3. Mix in the vanilla and egg.
4. Now mix in your flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Press your dough evenly into your baking pan.
6. Mix together your jelly, cream cheese, and powdered sugar.
7. Pour your jelly mixture onto your peanut butter bars and swirl around into the top of the peanut butter dough.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes and let cool completely before you cut them into squares.
Do your kids need a snack when they get home from school like mine do? What is your kids favorite after school snack?