On the mornings that I workout, I need to make sure that I eat something for breakfast that will fill me up and get me through the entire workout. Few things are worse than when your stomach starts grumbling half way through your spin class, right? Oy vey! Muffins are my breakfast of choice because I find that after all the morning chaos in my house (and by chaos I mean getting the kids off to school) I need something that I can just grab and take with me on the go. These muffins fit the bill. They fill my tummy and they are perfect on the go! What’s better is that they are simple to make, which is a major score if you ask me.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small ripe banana, smashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Turbino sugar for top of muffins
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400-degrees and grease an extra-large muffin tin.
2.Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the oats.
3. In another bowl, beat together the brown sugar, yogurt, oil, mashed banana and eggs. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Fold in the raspberries very gently.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with Turbino sugar.
6.Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let the muffins rest for about five minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
What’s your favorite kind of muffin?